Thursday 28 July 2011

Getting back on track



Before yesterday, it has been quite a few weeks since I last cooked a meal for my kids.  It has been a really difficult July for me on a personal level, having lost a dear friend cum boss to heart attack. I have 3 lovely boys who have been there for me in their own way, lending me their understanding that I needed to grieve.  No matter what else happens in my life, they are my 3 musketeers. ok ok sometimes when things do not go right and it feels like they are sucking my blood, they are then my 3 mosquitoes LOL  My friend's passing has made me realise even more that I need to make sure that things like a Will and important documents are all in order; making time to be with them, appreciating them, guiding them are things I should not take granted for.

Even cooking a simple meal for them is a big deal for me now.  I am not the greatest of cooks but they do have their favourite dishes.  The wet market cum hawker centre a block away has been closed for upgrading??? and through the grapevine, I was told it would be so for 9 months !!!!  The bad news is, all the stalls are not being relocated at all.  So, marketing for stuff I cannot get here means that I either shop at the Geylang Serai Market or NTUC at SingPost Centre.

Was at Singpost yesterday and decided that I would cook chicken curry for dinner today.  Veg dish is stir fried baby kai-lan.  Very simple fare.  Oldest boy is still down with the flu and so, I am home today to make sure he eats and drinks and most importantly, take his medication.  Other than that, it is mainly housekeeping, being online, watching tv programmes, cleaning clutters in the house.  Need to remember to get on my stationery bike before I shower this evening.  That is another thing I have stopped for weeks.

Being a single-mom is a challenge but it has its moments of wonders.  Little things which we tend to brush aside can be important for others.  I remember once when my son was ill last year and I declined to meet an acquaintance.  She told me that my kid is old enough to take care of himself.  Sure he is but you know, whenever I am sick, all I want is to know that someone cares enough to be home for me.  That is the basic of caring.  What kind of mom would I be if I were to go out for social fun, leaving my sick kid at home all by himself?  Years back when I was working at the airport, I could not return home when they fell ill.  That is the downside of working for management personnel who lack the human touch.  To them, it is what they want, not what you need.  Staff welfare is more than giving bonus, providing medical allowance, etc.  Not everyone has family members to help out during times of need.  Having said that, we survived.  I am really proud of my kids who went through the tough times with me and still turn out ok.

So, to all of you reading this.  Be appreciative of the people in your life.  Stop to smell the roses.  You never know when your time is up.

No comments:

Post a Comment